[NatureNS] Cougars and Ivory-billed woodpeckers

From: "Andy Moir/Christine Callaghan" <slickdog1@gmail.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 07:35:47 -0300

	text-d

------=_NextPart_000_00DD_01CC4CF8.F75BF120

Chris, good arguments are not made by being patronizing.  You are =
patronizing me (and many others)  by suggesting I don't know the =
difference between science and politics.  Like many others, I live with =
the consequences of bad science, turned into political advice and =
action.   The fact, not opinion, is, that we are seeing lots of =
intentionally bad science, done by scientists,  used for political =
goals.  If you look at how Fisheries and Environment Minister Sterling =
Belliveau is justifying the St. Mary's Bay salmon feed lots, he points =
to scientific information provided by DFO and Dept. of Environment. =
That's justifying this development in the name of science.
Your other arguments about the fact that we're challenging it are just =
silly.  We don't have the funds or expertise to go up against these =
government departments. =20
You can play around with words (we call is spinning) however you want. I =
find your approach  evasive of the core argument and totally =
unconvincing in the face of the evidence.
I sometimes think there was something to be said for some aspects of the =
cultural revolution, where politicians and academics actually had to =
live with the consequences of their work and decisions.
Andy----- Original Message -----=20