[NatureNS] fireflies

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 20:22:48 -0300

The other evening when it was thundering quite late, (after midnight) a week
or more ago, I got up to watch the lightening. It was quite a show but some
distance away. For awhile I thought the sparkles I saw were rain drops being
illuminated but by what? what it was many fireflies, (I think) and as the
flashes ended they would begin to glimmer all the way from the top of our
trees to the bottoms and into the grass that happened to be quite long. It
was quite Magical. I watched for at least a 1/2 hour and was thrilled with
what I saw. There was no rain at all. I want to look up what makes these
tiny lights.  Thanks for the info.
best regards

Marg Millard, White Point, Queens