[NatureNS] humminbird gatherings

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 20:31:43 -0300

Today we have had a much larger number of hummingbirds than we have had
since spring. Normally, for  this year, there are 7, 8 or even more but late
this afternoon when the rain stopped we have had males, females and
juveniles all buzzing about. Even counting the fledglings there are  more
birds than I would expect. Something is going to happen and very soon. I
would expect the males to begin leaving shortly. Anyone noticing this?
Right now it appears that individual  males are trying to hold feeders for
their females and the young. I wonder if they will leave enmasse? They
certainly are going through a lot of food, but the flowers aren't producing
food for the, I watch them go flower to flower and they are searching quite
desperately by times. I wonder if the mix 4-1 should be increased slightly?
Any thoughts.?
Best regards,
Marg Millard.ca