[NatureNS] Weather Forecasting is 150 years old today

Cc: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
From: Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 17:39:55 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Apple-Mail-3-1064032486

Hi=20

I just tried it on my iPhone - great site. Thank goodness for some good news=
 from Norway.  I find the radar on the Weather Network is good, as it shows y=
ou what's coming in the next 12 hours or so - better than the EC site, where=
 the radar just shows what has been or
Is current.

Richard Stern
sternrichard@gmail.com
Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 1, 2011, at 3:48 PM, Blake Maybank <maybank@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Happy Natal Day, everyone;
>=20
> This is from the BBC:
>=20
> "On 1 August 1861 the Times newspaper published the first ever weather for=
ecast.  The forecast was put together by Admiral Robert FitzRoy, who led the=
 meteorological department in the Board of Trade which was later renamed the=
 Met Office."
>=20
> A short video news clip detailing some of the history of weather forecasti=
ng can be found here:
>=20
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14361204
>=20
> With respect to weather I've learned that everyone has his or her favourit=
e forecasting site.  Indeed, many of us use several regularly.   In addition=
 to Canadian-based forecasting sites (such as Environment Canada and the Wea=
ther Network) I also use, and enjoy, the forecast supplied from, of all plac=
es, Norway.   The web site http://www.yr.no offers up forecasts for an impre=
ssive number of locations around the world, and I greatly enjoy the site's s=
tyle of presentation.  They also offer forecasts for many more sites in Nova=
 Scotia (or New Brunswick) than does Environment Canada.  Of course, one sti=
ll needs the EC site for the radar imagery, but I always consult the Norwegi=
an site.   Here is its link for the Peggy's Cove forecast, the one most usef=
ul to me.
>=20
> http://www.yr.no/place/Canada/Nova_Scotia/Peggy%27s_Cove/
>=20
> I invite you to take the site for a test drive.  We need all the weather s=
ites we can get.
>=20
> Cheers,
>=20
> Blake
>=20
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------=
---
> Blake Maybank
> maybank@ns.sympatico.ca
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/blakemaybank/
> 902-852-2077
>=20
> Editor, "Nova Scotia Birds"
> http://nsbs.chebucto.org
>=20
> Organiser, Maritimes Nature Travel Club
> http://tinyurl.com/naturetravel=20
>=20
> author, "Birding Sites of Nova Scotia"
> http://tinyurl.com/birdingns
> Downloadable Nova Scotia Maps for inside front and back covers:
> http://tinyurl.com/mr627d=20
>=20
> White's Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada

--Apple-Mail-3-1064032486

t tried it on my iPhone - great site. Thank goodness for some good news from=
 Norway. &nbsp;I find the radar on the Weather Network is good, as it shows y=
ou what's coming in the next 12 hours or so - better than the EC site, where=
hard Stern</div><div><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"-webkit-tap-h=
ighlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.296875); -webkit-composition-fill-color: r=
gba(175, 192, 227, 0.230469); -webkit-composition-frame-color: rgba(77, 128,=
 180, 0.230469); "><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gm=
it-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.296875); -webkit-composition-fill=
-color: rgba(175, 192, 227, 0.230469); -webkit-composition-frame-color: rgba=
n Aug 1, 2011, at 3:48 PM, Blake Maybank &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:maybank@ns.sy=
blockquote type=3D"cite"><div>
Happy Natal Day, everyone;<br><br>
This is from the BBC:<br><br>
"On 1 August 1861 the Times newspaper published the first ever
weather forecast.&nbsp; The forecast was put together by Admiral Robert
FitzRoy, who led the meteorological department in the Board of Trade
which was later renamed the Met Office."<br><br>
A short video news clip detailing some of the history of weather
forecasting can be found here:<br><br>
With respect to weather I've learned that everyone has his or her
favourite forecasting site.&nbsp; Indeed, many of us use several
regularly.&nbsp;&nbsp; In addition to Canadian-based forecasting sites
(such as Environment Canada and the Weather Network) I also use, and
enjoy, the forecast supplied from, of all places, Norway.&nbsp;&nbsp; The
web site
">http://www.yr.no</a></a> offers
up forecasts for an impressive number of locations around the world, and
I greatly enjoy the site's style of presentation.&nbsp; They also offer
forecasts for many more sites in Nova Scotia (or New Brunswick) than does
Environment Canada.&nbsp; Of course, one still needs the EC site for the
radar imagery, but I always consult the Norwegian site.&nbsp;&nbsp; Here
is its link for the Peggy's Cove forecast, the one most useful to
me.<br><br>
"autourl">
I invite you to take the site for a test drive.&nbsp; We need all the
weather sites we can get.<br><br>
Cheers,<br><br>
Blake<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p>