[NatureNS] Weather Forecasting is 150 years old today

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 23:15:06 -0300
From: Doug Linzey <naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&lt;a href=3D"http://www.flickr.com/photos/blakemaybank/" eudora=3D"autourl"&
Blake writes:

> With respect to weather I've learned that everyone has his or her
> favourite forecasting site.  Indeed, many of us use several
> regularly.   In addition to Canadian-based forecasting sites (such as
> Environment Canada and the Weather Network) I also use, and enjoy, the
> forecast supplied from, of all places, Norway.   The web site
> http://www.yr.no <http://www.yr.no/> offers up forecasts for an
> impressive number of locations around the world, and I greatly enjoy
> the site's style of presentation.

Well, I've had a look, and yes, it's an interesting presentation. But
it's hardly the accurate forecast we (usually) get from EC. I'm
comparing the Norwegian notion of what the weather is like and will
likely be for Greenwood (the location I'm most interested in around
here) with the EC forecast and current conditions. Frankly, I'm not
surprised that a European service would be off the mark most of the time
about what's going on in Nova Scotia (although it would be just as easy
for them to pick up the EC feed as it is for me). The aspect that's
really freaky is the detailed 3h forecasts that go 48 hours out. Even
Environment Canada hasn't got the nerve to try that.

Doug Linzey
Arlington, NS