[NatureNS] Re: Red-eyed Vireo Behavior

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 23:00:47 -0300
From: Doug Linzey <naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 01/08/2011 12:27 PM, duartess@ns.sympatico.ca wrote:
> Have been watching with interest and delight the activity&  behavior of a pair of Red-eyed Vireos that have a (very) visible nest (for me, anyway) in a large tree in our backyard here in Dartmouth.
> It is the 1st time that this species has nested here, to my knowledge, anyway.
> The nest is constantly occupied by one or both and defended aggressively, but more so against the Blue jays than any of the other birds that also perch in that tree and very close to their nest too!

I well remember living in Clayton Park (more than 20 years ago, now) and
seeing nesting RE Vireos constantly chasing Blue Jays. There are vireos
in the forest here, but apart from viewing early arrivals and some
tentative youngsters, we hear them but rarely see them in action.

Doug Linzey
Arlington, NS