[NatureNS] Re: Red-eyed Vireo Behavior

Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 12:33:41 -0300
From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--90e6ba3fcde7cc975804a99b96ce

This is a photo of a REVI nest, in a beech tree, taken this year.

http://rickwhitman.smugmug.com/Nature/Birds-July-2011/17831138_m4NQwJ#1414159328_RqDgMHh

The prior photo in this gallery shows the female tight on the nest, using 24
X zoom. She didn't leave the nest.

Rick Whitman

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 10:04 AM, <bdigout@seaside.ns.ca> wrote:

> What kind of tree is the nest in?   Do you have any pictures of the nest?
> Billy
> > On 01/08/2011 12:27 PM, duartess@ns.sympatico.ca wrote:
> >> Have been watching with interest and delight the activity&  behavior of
> >> a pair of Red-eyed Vireos that have a (very) visible nest (for me,
> >> anyway) in a large tree in our backyard here in Dartmouth.
> >> It is the 1st time that this species has nested here, to my knowledge,
> >> anyway.
> >> The nest is constantly occupied by one or both and defended
> >> aggressively, but more so against the Blue jays than any of the other
> >> birds that also perch in that tree and very close to their nest too!
> >
> > I well remember living in Clayton Park (more than 20 years ago, now) and
> > seeing nesting RE Vireos constantly chasing Blue Jays. There are vireos
> > in the forest here, but apart from viewing early arrivals and some
> > tentative youngsters, we hear them but rarely see them in action.
> >
> > Doug Linzey
> > Arlington, NS

--90e6ba3fcde7cc975804a99b96ce

This is a photo of a REVI nest, in a beech tree, taken this year.<div><br><=
/div><div><a href=3D"http://rickwhitman.smugmug.com/Nature/Birds-July-2011/=
17831138_m4NQwJ#1414159328_RqDgMHh">http://rickwhitman.smugmug.com/Nature/B=
irds-July-2011/17831138_m4NQwJ#1414159328_RqDgMHh</a></div>
11 at 10:04 AM,  <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bdigout@seaside.ns=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">What kind of tree is the nest in? =A0 Do yo=
u have any pictures of the nest?<br>
Billy<br>
&gt; On 01/08/2011 12:27 PM, <a href=3D"mailto:duartess@ns.sympatico.ca">du=
artess@ns.sympatico.ca</a> wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; Have been watching with interest and delight the activity&amp; =A0=
behavior of<br>
&gt;&gt; a pair of Red-eyed Vireos that have a (very) visible nest (for me,=
&gt;&gt; anyway) in a large tree in our backyard here in Dartmouth.<br>
&gt;&gt; It is the 1st time that this species has nested here, to my knowle=
dge,<br>
&gt;&gt; anyway.<br>
&gt;&gt; The nest is constantly occupied by one or both and defended<br>
&gt;&gt; aggressively, but more so against the Blue jays than any of the ot=
her<br>
&gt;&gt; birds that also perch in that tree and very close to their nest to=
o!<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I well remember living in Clayton Park (more than 20 years ago, now) a=
nd<br>
&gt; seeing nesting RE Vireos constantly chasing Blue Jays. There are vireo=
s<br>
&gt; in the forest here, but apart from viewing early arrivals and some<br>
&gt; tentative youngsters, we hear them but rarely see them in action.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Doug Linzey<br>
&gt; Arlington, NS<br>
&gt;<br>