[NatureNS] re Ocean Sunfish

From: Gary Myers <gemyers@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2011 18:02:48 -0300

normal; orphans: 2; text-align: aut

--Boundary_(ID_DEkxO1k6QFAAuxnS9doxEg)

When there was a weir here in Morden, ocean sunfish were unfortunately, =
not an infrequent =E2=80=98by catch=E2=80=99.  In my limited experience, =
it appeared they would =E2=80=98give up=E2=80=99 as soon as they were in =
danger of being stranded.  One time I was lucky enough to be at the weir =
near low water and there was a sunfish in danger of stranding, it was =
still mostly submerged but was not struggling to prevent itself from =
coming right out of the water as the tide went out.  I waded out to =
approximately waist deep and pushed it into deeper water and it swam =
away.  I have one photo of a 1.5-2 metre specimen that stranded on the =
weir in Aug 2003 if anyone is interested email me and I=E2=80=99ll send =
you a copy.  Gary Myers=

--Boundary_(ID_DEkxO1k6QFAAuxnS9doxEg)

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial'; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: =
10pt">When there=20
was a weir here in Morden, ocean sunfish were unfortunately, not an =
infrequent=20
=E2=80=98by catch=E2=80=99.&nbsp; In my limited experience, it appeared =
they would =E2=80=98give up=E2=80=99 as=20
soon as they were in danger of being stranded.&nbsp; One time I was =
lucky enough=20
to be at the weir near low water and there was a sunfish in danger of =
stranding,=20
it was still mostly submerged but was not struggling to prevent itself =
from=20
coming right out of the water as the tide went out.&nbsp; I waded out to =

approximately waist deep and pushed it into deeper water and it swam =
away.&nbsp;=20
I have one photo of a 1.5-2 metre specimen that stranded on the weir in =
Aug 2003=20
if anyone is interested email me and I=E2=80=99ll send you a copy.&nbsp; =
Gary=20
Myers</DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_DEkxO1k6QFAAuxnS9doxEg)--