[NatureNS] Peeps and Peregrine

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 18:55:58 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--00032555563e77706c04a9f16602

Hi,

I went down to Evangeline Beach around 5:30pm just before high tide. There
was a single flock of about 10,000 Peeps - as far I as I could make out they
were all Semi. Sandpipers. They formed a single tightly packed"carpet" on
the beach. Suddenly the whole lot took off right in front of me, and a
Peregrine dove in from the east, scattering the flock. The Peregrine chased
a few birds at the tail end, flying very fast and low, but then gave up
without a catch, and headed off. I was trying to digiscope or get videos at
the time, but the suddenness of this made it impossible - I just got a
couple of not great shots of the falcon in flight. It had a very dark head
with an extensive "helmet". Then the rain started ......

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--00032555563e77706c04a9f16602

Hi,<br><br>I went down to Evangeline Beach around 5:30pm just before high t=
ide. There was a single flock of about 10,000 Peeps - as far I as I could m=
ake out they were all Semi. Sandpipers. They formed a single tightly packed=
&quot;carpet&quot; on the beach. Suddenly the whole lot took off right in f=
ront of me, and a Peregrine dove in from the east, scattering the flock. Th=
e Peregrine chased a few birds at the tail end, flying very fast and low, b=
ut then gave up without a catch, and headed off. I was trying to digiscope =
or get videos at the time, but the suddenness of this made it impossible - =
I just got a couple of not great shots of the falcon in flight. It had a ve=
ry dark head with an extensive &quot;helmet&quot;. Then the rain started ..=
....=A0 <br>

r>

--00032555563e77706c04a9f16602--