[NatureNS] merlin nest in Ken-Wo Golf Course? ; yellowlegs, ants

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 20:57:15 -0300

Today (mid-afternoon) as I was driving by Ken-Wo Golf Course I heard the
distinct 'begging call' of a young Merlin coming from the trees on the
north-eastern section of the golf course facing Hwy #1.      Does anyone
know if Merlins have been nesting  in that area?

Yesterday at Noon (High Tide was 11.30 a.m.) there were 14 Gtr and 3 Lsr
Yellowlegs roosting on the rocks  in Wolfville Harbour.

Our basement has been invaded by scores of  large (1.5- 2 cms long)
brownish-black ants (not carpenter ants) for the past couple of weeks.  We
usually have a few to contend with annually but this year the invasion  has
been intense. We have heard there are other people in this area who are
having a similar problem with small ants.  Is it possible this wet summer
has had something to do with the ants seeking drier shelter?

Cheers,

Judy Tufts

  Judy Tufts

 Wolfville NS