[NatureNS] Temperance St. Swifts- Aug. 12, 2011 (130)

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 23:01:21 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_4IdGy2Zxk2dD+eBUutNRnA)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
It is a beautiful evening in New Glasgow and a nice evening for observing the swifts with no wind and clear skies. When I arrived at 8:18, I met a couple,  Judy and Frank
Williams from Fairbanks, Alaska who had read about the chimney on Bird Studies Canada and had seen the Youtube video. They are on the way to Cape Breton and other NS locations to do some birding and sightseeing.
There were no swifts around at the time, but shortly we heard and then observed a few and a Common Nighthawk passed through high looking first a bit like a Merlin till we put our bins on the bird. An early Swift entered at 8:24, but the majority entered very quickly without much low flying around the chimney between 8:39 and 8:40.  A total of 130 were tallied, not significantly different from the previous few nights. The last bird was observed by scanning the chimney with the bins in low light at 8:50 just as the full moon was rising above the school.
cheers
Ken

--Boundary_(ID_4IdGy2Zxk2dD+eBUutNRnA)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19120">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>It is a beautiful evening in New Glasgow and a nice
evening for observing the swifts with no wind and clear skies. When I arrived at
8:18, I met a couple, &nbsp;Judy and Frank </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Williams from Fairbanks, Alaska who had read about
the chimney on Bird Studies Canada and had seen the Youtube video. They are on
the way to Cape Breton and other NS locations&nbsp;to do some birding and
sightseeing. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>There were no swifts around at the time, but
</FONT><FONT size=2 face=Arial>shortly we heard and then&nbsp;observed a few and
a Common Nighthawk passed through high looking first a bit like a Merlin till we
put our bins on the bird. An early Swift entered at 8:24, but </FONT><FONT
size=2 face=Arial>the majority entered very quickly without much low flying
around the chimney between 8:39 and 8:40.&nbsp; A total of 130 were tallied, not
significantly different from the previous </FONT><FONT size=2 face=Arial>few
nights. The last bird was observed by scanning the chimney with the bins in low
light at 8:50 just as the full moon was rising above the school. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_4IdGy2Zxk2dD+eBUutNRnA)--