[NatureNS] Recent Valley visit

From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 14:26:29 -0300

Following up on Jim Wolford's reports on shorebird numbers in the Eastern
Valley, Wendy and took a run up on Tuesday.  Unfortunately, I had
mis-calculated the timing of the tide and we arrived at the Evangeline
lookoff near the canteen right at high tide.  No muddy shoreline; no
shorebirds!  We then moved along to the east end of the beach at the Guzzle,
looking over to Boot Island - same thing!

While we waited for the tide to fall, I walked through the meadow full of
red clover, Queen Anne's Lace and goldenrods and noted 4 Black Swallowtails
(2 male, 2 female), many Wood Nymphs (several 10's), and countless sulphurs
and cabbage whites - it was a nice warm sunny day for the most part.  The
BLSW's were in almost constant motion so it was a challenge to get a decent
pic.  After half an hour of patient stalking, I was able to take a couple of
shots of a male.  I did have a net but had no interest in catching one.  I
will not be sending specimens in for the butterfly atlas since I think that
we have progressed beyond that point, or should have.

Also observed along the dyke here was an Osprey actively fishing until I
tried to get its picture at which point it rapidly flew away, in the
direction of Boot Is.  Through the scope, I was able to find a group of 10
Great Blue Herons loafing near the shoreline in a southerly direction.
Although most of the Seaside Goldenrod was still in bud, there were several
plants in full bloom just behind the fishermen.  Also on this side, there
was a small group (about a dozen) of shorebirds, hunkered down in amongst
the seaweed drift - mostly Least Sandpipers and 3-4 Semipalms.  Three
Semipalmated Plovers were seen on the shoreline on the north side of the
fishing folk.

We then proceeded back to the Lookoff, near the canteen.  Although the mud
flats were exposed, no shorebirds were roosting.  However, they were flying
by, going mainly to the west, in groups which ranged from 10-20 birds up to
two flocks which must have numbered in the thousands.  Remarkable, but it
would have been great if they had come in to roost.

After u-picking some end-of-the-season raspberries and buying some fresh
Valley produce (the corn is sweet!), we met up with Harold Forsythe and
another couple for the 6:30 PM tour of the Harriet Irving Garden.  We
tallied quite a list and thanks to Harold we learned a couple of new flora
species!

Finally, it was off to the Robie Tufts Nature Centre for the evening swift
show.  Unfortunately, nobody told the swifts about it, and after about 3/4
hour, the 8 observers had tallied ZERO swifts (observation time 8:00 - 8:50
PM).  Sunset was around 8:20 PM.

Cheers,

Bob and Wendy McDonald
Halifax