[NatureNS] world birding app for ipad

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 10:19:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: bev wigney <bev@magickcanoe.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hello Fawne, and all,

Someone else on the list may correct me on this, but I don't think there is yet a worldwide birding app available for the iPad.  If there was, I suspect it would be fairly costly and also take up a lot of memory.

Here is what I found after checking theI just checkin the app store.  There are now several companies offering birding apps, but all are by region.

I use iBird Explorer Pro for North America. iBird comes in regional versions as well - they are less expensive and require less memory.  However, I travel across N.A., so I bought the North America version.  It is regularly around $30, but seems to be on sale for around $20 at the moment.  I see that iBird now has a version for the UK and Ireland and it is priced at about $14.

BirdGuides Ltd. has some apps available, but again, they are by region.  For example, there is a Birds of Brazil app available for 12.99 which is about 700 MB in size (some of the Bird apps are quite large as they include photos, audio, etc...)  I see that the same company offers a Birds of Northern Europe for 20.99, and a Birds of Britain and  Ireland for 17.99.

If you do a search for Birds and a country, for example, "birds africa" in the app store, you may find other guides. For example, I just tried that search and came uo with a Birds of Africa app by Oren Meiri for around $10.

There is also a Peterson's Birds of North America app available for 14.99, and Audubon guides for North America and also by region for around the same price.  I don't think either of those are available as versions for other countries as yet.

Hope some of that info helps.

bev wigney
Round Hill, NS (in summer)