[NatureNS] slugs and snails

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 22:10:02 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

         This post reminds me of something interesting I saw last May
in Margaretsville.  I was in a stand of hardwoods, admiring the Red
Trilliums which were just coming into bloom.  I'm not sure what drew
my attention, but I found myself puzzling over the odd pattern of
bumps and carbuncles on the surface of a nearby American Beech tree,
badly scarred by Beech Bark disease.  Suddenly I realized that one of
those bumps was a snail!  The size and shape of the shell was much
like the usual yellow garden snails I see, but it closely matched the
surrounding cankers.  I wished that I had a camera with me to capture
such a fine example of camouflage.

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax