[NatureNS] late brood of n. cardinal, Wolfville

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 20:55:02 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_1203390==.ALT

         Jean Hartley reports seeing a family of N. Cardinals in her
garden in Rockingham, Halifax this fall.  She first saw a parent
feeding a fledgling on Saturday, and today (28 September) confirmed
that in fact there are two fledglings. Today she watched as both
parents brought the young birds to her feeders, where the two begging
birds were fed by their very ragged parents.  Again, this seems very late.

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

At 02:10 PM 23/09/2011, Jim Wolford wrote:
>SEPT. 23, 2011 - At our Wolfville feeders I saw a bird that would
>have been a difficult identification if it had not been accompanied
>and fed by a male n. cardinal.  This made the ident. much easier,
>but this bird did not look like a typical newly-fledged
>cardinal.  The size was right, ground colour OK, and had reddish
>hints in the brown tail, but there was no crest, the beak was not
>blackish but more of a gray and whitish colour, and the "shoulder"
>area showed a whitish or light tan mark.  Anyway, this was clearly a
>fledged cardinal that was being attended and fed by the adult male.
>
>All of this fits in nicely with other people's observations of very
>late nesting activities of a variety of birds throughout the province.
>
>Cheers from Jim in Wolfville.

--=====================_1203390==.ALT

<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Jean
Hartley reports seeing a family of N. Cardinals in her garden in
Rockingham, Halifax this fall.&nbsp; She first saw a parent feeding a
fledgling on Saturday, and today  (28 September) confirmed that in fact
there are two fledglings. Today she watched as both parents brought the
young birds to her feeders, where the two begging birds were fed by their
very ragged parents.&nbsp; Again, this seems very late.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
At 02:10 PM 23/09/2011, Jim Wolford wrote:<br>
Wolfville feeders I saw a bird that would have been a <b>difficult
identification</b> if it had not been accompanied and fed by a <b>male n.
cardinal</b>.&nbsp; This made the ident. much easier, but this bird did
not look like a typical newly-fledged cardinal.&nbsp; The size was right,
ground colour OK, and had reddish hints in the brown tail, but there was
no crest, the beak was not blackish but more of a gray and whitish
colour, and the &quot;shoulder&quot; area showed a whitish or light tan
mark.&nbsp; Anyway, this was clearly a fledged cardinal that was being
attended and fed by the adult male.&nbsp; <br><br>
All of this fits in nicely with other people's observations of very late
nesting activities of a variety of birds throughout the
province.<br><br>