[NatureNS] Crows doing stand-up comedy?

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 21:13:53 -0300

margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "&

--Boundary_(ID_BefbvnMu58RrhZQNM6qSNg)

Hello:

One of my co-workers has several large trees near his house in Dartmouth. On several recent occasions, he has noticed very unusual behavior in a group of about 15-20 crows in his area. They will land in the trees, and then one of them will start making strange sounds for a bit and stop, at which point the rest will move their bodies, and wings, and make all sorts of sounds for about 10 seconds or so and they will all quiet down again. The same crow will come out with another strange set of sounds, and at the cenclusion the rest of the crows will repeat the same type of motions and calls. He has watched this go on for about 10 minutes, and they they all fly off. He said that if he didn't know better, it looked as if the lead bird was doing a stand-up comedy act with the other crows laughing at the end of each joke.

On one occasion, he had company and they witnessed the same behaviour and got the same impression. I was curious as to whether anyone else has seen this type of hing happen. He is hoping to try to get it on camera.

Pat

I have and wondered if it was a council meeting perhaps?
Marg in White Point

--Boundary_(ID_BefbvnMu58RrhZQNM6qSNg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19120">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">Hello: </FONT>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV>One of my co-workers has several large trees near his house in Dartmouth.
On several recent occasions, he has noticed very unusual behavior in a group of
about 15-20 crows in his area. They will land in the trees, and then one of them
will start making strange sounds for a bit and stop, at which point the rest
will move their bodies, and wings, and make all sorts of sounds for about 10
seconds or so and they will all quiet down again. The same crow will come out
with another strange set of sounds, and at the cenclusion the rest of the crows
will repeat the same type of motions and calls. He has watched this go on for
about 10 minutes, and they they all fly off. He said that if he didn't know
better, it looked as if the lead bird was doing a stand-up comedy act with the
other crows laughing at the end of each joke.</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV>On one occasion, he had company and they witnessed the same behaviour and
got the same impression. I was curious as to whether anyone else has seen this
type of hing happen. He is hoping to try to get it on camera.</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV>Pat</DIV>
<DIV><BR>........&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I have and wondered if it was a council meeting perhaps?</DIV>
<DIV>Marg in White Point</DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_BefbvnMu58RrhZQNM6qSNg)--