[NatureNS] More from Brier -> also St Kilda Scotland birds

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 07:37:54 -0300
To: srshaw@dal.ca, NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--0015174788f26e6ddd04aeef63aa

Hi,

I tried googling Rev. Donald John Gillies. It seems that his book on
St.Kilda is available on Amazon etc. He apparently has (or had) a daughter
living in Port Coquitlam, BC. I couldn't find any info about his life in NS,
but he apparently "traveled widely" after leaving Scotland.

I have read other accounts of St.Kilda - it sounds a fascinating place, with
the highest sea cliffs in Europe, the biggest colonies of several seabirds
anywhere, etc. I have seen pictures of the old inhabitants rappelling down
the cliffs to collect birds eggs (I can't remember where), and it looks
highly difficult and dangerous. It's possible, but not easy, and very
expensive, to visit there -  there's a great web site all about the place at
http://www.kilda.org.uk/Default.htm .

BTW I have eaten puffin (I think they were roasted) as a delicacy in
Iceland. I found them tough, fishy and horrible! There are probably people
on NatureNS who like "Turr" (Newfoundlandese for alcids in general) and they
may disagree.

Richard

--
#################
Dr.R.B.Stern,

--0015174788f26e6ddd04aeef63aa

Hi,<br><br>I tried googling Rev. Donald John Gillies. It seems that his boo=
k on St.Kilda is available on Amazon etc. He apparently has (or had) a daug=
hter living in Port Coquitlam, BC. I couldn&#39;t find any info about his l=
ife in NS, but he apparently &quot;traveled widely&quot; after leaving Scot=
land.<br>

 with the highest sea cliffs in Europe, the biggest colonies of several sea=
birds anywhere, etc. I have seen pictures of the old inhabitants rappelling=
 down the cliffs to collect birds eggs (I can&#39;t remember where), and it=
 looks highly difficult and dangerous. It&#39;s possible, but not easy, and=
 very expensive, to visit there -=A0 there&#39;s a great web site all about=
 the place at <a href=3D"http://www.kilda.org.uk/Default.htm">http://www.ki=
lda.org.uk/Default.htm</a> . <br>

eland. I found them tough, fishy and horrible! There are probably people o