[NatureNS] More from Brier -> also St Kilda Scotland birds

From: Hubcove@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 08:11:13 -0400 (EDT)
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

eland. I found them tough, fishy and horrible! There are probably people o
--part1_17bf4.799d88cf.3bc43ae1_boundary

While conducting fisheries patrol on the Grand Banks 30 years ago I had the
 opportunity to taste sea birds. I would leave the ship to the XO and spend
some  time on the Portuguese ships where the cook would chum for birds with
the cod  insides and then salt them down in barrels. Not bad tasting but
rather oily. I  think they were shearwaters. Of all the vessels we boarded I
was most impressed  with the white fleet because they used everything, as
well as the cleaned  fish they salted down the frames and the heads.
Peter Stow
Hubbards

In a message dated 10/10/2011 7:41:57 A.M. Atlantic Daylight Time,