[NatureNS] Seal culls and research

Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 08:31:14 -0300 (ADT)
From: bdigout@seaside.ns.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

phenomena that affect them
    Here in the Bras D'Or, when I was growing up there were no seals at
all.  I remember one actually being caught(and drowned) in a herring
net, and it became a novelty, they being that rare.  My father always
had a herring net for bait and longlines in the fall to catch cod that
he would salt for the winter. THERE WERE LOTS OF COD. There were huge
schools visible along the shores every fall. During this past summer's
"cod season", which runs the months of July and August, my neighbour
and I went fishing probably a dozen times, and came back with a total
of 16 cod all summer..  The daily limit was five per day per fisher,
so we came back empty-handed most days.
     There are now lots of seals in the lake.  We saw several each time we
went out. I don't know how much or what kind of fish they eat, or if
they are a factor in the cod decline, but putting two and two
together sometimes works. I'm sure there are other factors in play
here, although there hasn't been a commercial cod fishery in the Bras
D'Or for the past dozen years or so. But if a seal cull might work, I
can't see any harm in trying.
Billy