[NatureNS] re foods of culled seals? -- was Seal Cull

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 16:12:55 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

needs to give their head a g
--001517588540326d9704aef6956d

Hi,

With all the scientific observations, and data that has been collected, on
seals in recent years, by those who are both in favor of, and opposed to, a
seal cull, surely somewhere there must be a detailed analysis of the
contents of adult seals' stomachs? And surely there's someone on NatureNS
who knows this info?
For what it's worth, here's what seems to be a valid reference I found by
googling --

The single biggest island-breeding colony is on Sable Island (85,000,
increasing at almost 12% per annum). Other major sites in the western
Atlantic are in the Gulf of St. Lawrence (69,000).  (and from Wikipedia
----- The grey seal feeds on a wide variety of
fish<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish>,
mostly benthic <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benthic> or
demersal<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demersal>species, taken at
depths down to 70 m (230 ft) or more. Sand
eels <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_eel> (*Ammodytes spp*) are important
in its diet in many localities. Cod <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cod> and
other gadids <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadidae>,
flatfish<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatfish>,
herring <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herring>  and
skates<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skate>are also important locally.
However, it is clear that the grey seal will eat
whatever is available, including
octopus<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus>and
lobsters <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobster>. The average daily food
requirement is estimated to be 5 kg (11 lb), though the seal does not feed
every day and it fasts during the breeding season.

Doing the math, therefore, it would seem that the Sable Island population
alone would eat up to 425,000 Kg of fish per annum - considerable
competition for Homo sapiens.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

--001517588540326d9704aef6956d

Hi,<br><br>With all the scientific observations, and data that has been col=
lected, on seals in recent years, by those who are both in favor of, and op=
posed to, a seal cull, surely somewhere there must be a detailed analysis o=
f the contents of adult seals&#39; stomachs? And surely there&#39;s someone=
 on NatureNS who knows this info?<br>

For what it&#39;s worth, here&#39;s what seems to be a valid reference I fo=
und by googling --<br><br>The single biggest island-breeding colony is on S=
able Island (85,000,=20
increasing at almost 12% per annum). Other major sites in the western=20
Atlantic are in the Gulf of St. Lawrence (69,000).=A0 (and from Wikipedia -=
---- The grey seal feeds on a wide variety of <a href=3D"http://en.wikipedi=
a.org/wiki/Fish" title=3D"Fish">fish</a>, mostly <a href=3D"http://en.wikip=
edia.org/wiki/Benthic" title=3D"Benthic" class=3D"mw-redirect">benthic</a> =
or <a href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demersal" title=3D"Demersal" cla=
ss=3D"mw-redirect">demersal</a> species, taken at depths down to 70=A0m (23=
0=A0ft) or more. <a href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_eel" title=3D=
n many localities. <a href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cod" title=3D"Co=
d">Cod</a> and other <a href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadidae" title=
=3D"Gadidae">gadids</a>, <a href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatfish" =
title=3D"Flatfish">flatfish</a>, <a href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/He=
=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skate" title=3D"Skate">skates</a> are also=
 important locally. However, it is clear that the grey seal will eat whatev=
er is available, including <a href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus"=
 title=3D"Octopus">octopus</a> and <a href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/=
Lobster" title=3D"Lobster">lobsters</a>.
 The average daily food requirement is estimated to be 5=A0kg (11=A0lb),=20
though the seal does not feed every day and it fasts during the breeding
 season.<br><br>Doing the math, therefore, it would seem that the Sable Isl=
and population alone would eat up to 425,000 Kg of fish per annum - conside=
s=3D"gmail_quote">

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 3:31 PM, James W. Wolford <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:jimwolford@eastlink.ca">jimwolford@eastlink.ca</a>&gt;</span=
> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;bo=
rder-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

Jeannie, I stand to be corrected, but I think a very large proportion of th=
e &quot;harvested&quot; seals in recent years has been youn