[NatureNS] re foods of culled seals? -- was Seal Cull

From: Bob Farmer <farmerb@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 17:57:00 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

e &amp;quot;harvested&amp;quot; seals in recent years has been youn
There are at least two big problems with stomach content analysis that
I'm aware of.  Basically, if you sample a bunch of seals and they
don't have very much cod in them, does that mean that they don't
prefer cod, or that there isn't much cod around in the first place?
Alternatively, suppose you sample the stomachs of 50 seals, and half
of them are full of cod, and half of them aren't.  Does that mean that
some seals choose cod, or that some seals tend to be in microhabitats
with more cod?  If some seals choose cod, it might be difficult or
impossible to selectively cull these animals.

So how can you design an experiment to tell you whether seals are
eating a lot of cod?  As I understand it, it's much more informative
to get a long-term look at what they're eating, for instance over
multiple seasons.  This is the focus of Sara Iverson's lab at
Dalhousie, who are looking at ways of determining diet from signature
fatty acids in seal blubber samples.

On a broader scale, I don't think that ideology is ruling the day
here, just caution, because a lot of screwey stuff can happen if you
take out a big chunk of a large predator population.  And the
uncertainty here is huge.  On the other hand, in terms of potential
negative outcomes, do you think Canadian people would be more
comfortable not having a huge cull (with very slow fisheries
recoveries), or having a huge cull that does something unexpected and
harmful to the St. Lawrence ecology?  This is a political question,
not a scientific one, assuming the uncertainties about these outcomes
are similar.

Incidentally, is a sexy paper came out recently suggesting evidence of
Scotian Shelf (not Gulf of St. Lawrence) benthic fisheries (although
not necessarily cod) recoveries:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v477/n7362/full/nature10285.html
(see the "editor's summary" in the right column, too).  So maybe
patience is a virtue?  This is not a clear-cut decision either way.

As someone who's worked several winter seasons monitoring the seals on
Sable, I can say with reasonable confidence that the 12.8% per annum
seal population growth statistic is outdated.  At this point, there is
good evidence that these seals might be reaching their carrying
capacity in the environment, which means that their population size is
stabilizing, not growing.  See
http://icesjms.oxfordjournals.org/content/60/6/1265.short for the old
state of things (exponential growth), and the more current research
here ( http://bowenlab.biology.dal.ca/data/Bowen%20Hg%20pup%20prod%202004%20MMS%202007.pdf
) that suggests the population growth is leveling out (at last
estimate, the rate was about 7% per annum).  DFO did another aerial
survey last winter; I'd imagine the latest population growth estimates
are on their way out, too.

Hope that stimulates some discussion.  The hardest part for me is to
be willing to change my mind if the evidence looks better one way.

Incidentally, regarding Richard's consumption statistic:  I don't
think we can appreciate its significance until we put it into the
perspective of the weight of our own fisheries landings in that
ecosystem.  Would you know the percentage relationship here?

--Bob Farmer

pre