[NatureNS] The Big Year

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 23:21:10 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>, NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>

--000e0cdf13261adaf604af4d08dd

Hi,

Just got back from seeing The Big Year at the local movie theater. I admit I
went with some trepidation, fearing some degree of ridicule for keen
birders, but it was handled well, and the idea of totally disparate
characters becoming good friends through birding resonated well. Some of the
acting and the characters were a bit "over the top", but the birding stuff
was dead accurate - e.g. footage of the Xantus Hummer in Gibsons, BC,
correct ID of all kinds of warblers etc., and good footage of many bird
species. The scenes at Attu had something in common with Seal Island. I
could identify well with one of the characters (those of you who know me and
see the movie won't need to guess too hard). At least one of the minor
characters was clearly based on a well known bird tour leader, and one of
the main characters was, I suspect, an exaggerated version of another well
known birder. I think that for once in the media, the bird and birding
advisors have done the homework very well.   I recommend that birders should
go and see it for an interesting evening, a feeling of familiarity, and some
good light-hearted moments.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

--000e0cdf13261adaf604af4d08dd

Hi,<br><br>Just got back from seeing The Big Year at the local movie theate=
r. I admit I went with some trepidation, fearing some degree of ridicule fo=
r keen birders, but it was handled well, and the idea of totally disparate =
characters becoming good friends through birding resonated well. Some of th=
e acting and the characters were a bit &quot;over the top&quot;, but the bi=
rding stuff was dead accurate - e.g. footage of the Xantus Hummer in Gibson=
s, BC, correct ID of all kinds of warblers etc., and good footage of many b=
ird species. The scenes at Attu had something in common with Seal Island. I=
 could identify well with one of the characters (those of you who know me a=
nd see the movie won&#39;t need to guess too hard). At least one of the min=
or characters was clearly based on a well known bird tour leader, and one o=
f the main characters was, I suspect, an exaggerated version of another wel=
l known birder. I think that for once in the media, the bird and birding ad=
visors have done the homework very well. =A0 I recommend that birders shoul=
d go and see it for an interesting evening, a feeling of familiarity, and s=
ome good light-hearted moments.<br>

--000e0cdf13261adaf604af4d08dd--