[NatureNS] FRIGATEBIRD , LARK BUNTING -Seal I. Oct. 22

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>, NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 21:03:16 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_Mi1G7lNxiYSIDyGLhGkIbw)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
A group of 5 just returned from a few days of exciting birding on Seal =
I. (Oct. 18-23). Best birds of the trip were first discovered Oct. 22 by =
Bernice Moores and were an imm. LARK BUNTING and an adult male =
Frigatebird and both were seen by all and photographed by Charlie =
Kendell and I. The Lark Bunting was seen perched on a snag in the East =
Village and posed nicely while we all manoeuvred to get the bird in good =
light. The white wing patch was obvious even from a distance. The bird =
left the snag and hopped about on the ground finding many food items =
including grubs and even picking at discarded vegetables.=20
The Frigatebird was discovered by Bernice about 3:30 in the afternoon =
but she was by herself at the time. Charlie K. and I had gone around the =
north end finding a lifer for Charlie at every turn and at about 6 =
p.m.Charlie spied the strange bird as we approached the barrachois pond =
from the north home. The all-dark Frigatebird circled above us for 5 min =
as we took copious photos, and I thought that since it seemed to be =
hanging around, I should quickly try to contact the others who were =
likely back at the west village cookhouse. Bernice was located quickly =
scavenging pieces of lobster metal lobster trap and after a lot of =
yelling,  pointing  and running, I found that she had seen the bird =
earlier but Ian and Sylvia had not. A fast jaunt from the North home =
area to the west village with the sun setting was successful as I was =
able to get Sylvia and Ian on the bird before it settled into the trees =
as the back of the pond for the night. it is not often that one has the =
opportunity to add a bird to Ian and Sylvia's substantial NS lists. Most =
likely the Frigatebird is a Magnificent, but analysis of the photos =
might be necessary to rule out Lesser.
Here is a quick summary of our other significant sightings. I will soon =
post each days totals to E-bird.=20

Oct. 18- 3 Blue Grosbeaks, 1 Field Sparrow, 5 Indigo Buntings

Oct. 19-1 Eastern Meadowlark, 1 Brown Thrasher , 4 Indigo Bunting

Oct. 20- 3 Indigo Bunting, 1 Blue Grosbeak

Oct. 21-4 Indigo Bunting, 1 Blue Grosbeak, 1 Eastern Meadowlark, 2 =
Yellow-billed Cuckoo, 1 Northern Mockingbird, 2 Orange-crowned Warbler, =
1 Brown Thrasher
1 Cape May Warbler, 1 Field Sparrow, 1 Yellow-throated Warbler =
(white-lored), 1 Black-billed Cuckoo
=20
Oct. 22 1 Red-bellied Woodpecker, 1 Blackburnian Warbler, 1 Eastern =
Meadowlark, 3 Yellow-billed Cuckoo, 1 White-eyed Vireo, 1 Orange-Crowned =
Warbler. 4 Indigo Bunting, 1 LARK BUNTING (imm,?-photos taken), 1 =
Black-throated Blue Warbler, 2 American Coots, 1 Clay-coloured Sparrow, =
1 Yellow-breasted Chat, 1 Cape May Warbler, 1 Red-headed=20
Woodpecker, 1 FRIGATEBIRD sp.

Other interesting birds were a possible LeConte's Sparrow  Oct. 20, but =
not seen quite well enough to be sure; possible Oregon Junco on Oct. 22 =
(photographed); 400 Pine Siskin and 35 American Pipit Oct.19. In total, =
about 90 species were observed over the time we were there.

cheers
Ken  ( Sylvia Fullerton, Bernice Moores, Charlie Kendell, Ian McLaren)=

--Boundary_(ID_Mi1G7lNxiYSIDyGLhGkIbw)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19154">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>A group of 5 just returned from a few days of
exciting birding on Seal I. (Oct. 18-23). Best birds of the trip were
first&nbsp;discovered Oct. 22 by Bernice Moores and were an imm.<STRONG>
LARK&nbsp;BUNTING&nbsp;</STRONG>and an adult male&nbsp;<STRONG>Frigatebird
</STRONG>and both were seen by all and photographed by Charlie Kendell and
I.</FONT><FONT size=2 face=Arial>&nbsp;The Lark Bunting was seen&nbsp;perched on
a snag in the East Village and posed nicely while we all manoeuvred to get the
bird in good light. The white wing&nbsp;patch was obvious even from a distance.
The bird left the snag and hopped about on the ground finding many&nbsp;food
items&nbsp;including grubs and even picking at discarded vegetables.
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The Frigatebird was discovered by Bernice about
3:30 in the afternoon&nbsp;but she was by herself&nbsp;at the time. Charlie K.
and I had gone around the north end finding a lifer for Charlie at every turn
and at about 6 p.m.Charlie&nbsp;spied the&nbsp;strange bird as we approached the
barrachois pond from the north home.&nbsp;The
all-dark&nbsp;Frigatebird&nbsp;circled above us for 5 min as we took copious
photos, and I thought that&nbsp;since&nbsp;it seemed to&nbsp;be hanging around,
I should quickly try to contact the others who were likely back at the west
village cookhouse. Bernice was located quickly&nbsp;</FONT><FONT size=2
face=Arial>scavenging pieces of lobster metal lobster trap and after a lot of
yelling, &nbsp;pointing&nbsp; and running, I found that she had seen the bird
earlier but Ian and Sylvia had not. A fast jaunt from the North home area to the
west village with the sun setting was successful as I was able to get Sylvia and
Ian on the bird before it settled into the trees as the back of the pond for the
night. it is not often that one has the opportunity to add a bird to
Ian&nbsp;and Sylvia's substantial NS lists. Most likely the Frigatebird is a
Magnificent, but analysis of the photos might be necessary to rule out
Lesser.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Here is a quick summary of our
other&nbsp;significant sightings. I will soon post&nbsp;each days totals to
E-bird. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Oct. 18-&nbsp;3 <STRONG>Blue Grosbeaks, 1 Field
Sparrow, 5 Indigo Buntings</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Oct. 19-1 <STRONG>Eastern Meadowlark, </STRONG>1
<STRONG>Brown Thrasher , 4 Indigo Bunting</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Oct. 20-&nbsp;3 <STRONG>Indigo Bunting</STRONG>, 1
<STRONG>Blue Grosbeak</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Oct. 21-4<STRONG> Indigo Bunting</STRONG>, 1
<STRONG>Blue Grosbeak</STRONG>, 1 <STRONG>Eastern Meadowlark</STRONG>, 2
<STRONG>Yellow-billed Cuckoo</STRONG>, 1 <STRONG>Northern Mockingbird</STRONG>,
2 <STRONG>Orange-crowned Warbler</STRONG>, 1 <STRONG>Brown
Thrasher</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>1 Cape May Warbler<STRONG>, 1 Field Sparrow, 1
Yellow-throated Warbler (white-lored), 1 Black-billed
Cuckoo</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><STRONG>&nbsp;</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Oct. 22 1 <STRONG>Red-bellied Woodpecker</STRONG>,
1 Blackburnian Warbler, 1 <STRONG>Eastern Meadowlark</STRONG>, 3
<STRONG>Yellow-billed Cuckoo</STRONG>, 1 <STRONG>White-eyed Vireo</STRONG>,
1<STRONG> Orange-Crowned Warbler</STRONG>. 4 <STRONG>Indigo Bunting</STRONG>, 1
<STRONG>LARK BUNTING </STRONG>(<STRONG>imm,?-photos taken)</STRONG>,<STRONG>
1</STRONG> Black-throated Blue Warbler<STRONG>,</STRONG> 2 American Coots, 1
<STRONG>Clay-coloured Sparrow</STRONG>, 1 <STRONG>Yellow-breasted Chat</STRONG>,
1 Cape May Warbler, 1 <STRONG>Red-headed </STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><STRONG>Woodpecker,</STRONG> 1 <STRONG>FRIGATEBIRD
sp.</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Other interesting birds were a possible
<STRONG>LeConte's Sparrow&nbsp; </STRONG>Oct. 20, but not seen quite&nbsp;well
enough to be sure; possible Oregon Junco on Oct. 22 (photographed); 400 Pine
Siskin and 35 American Pipit&nbsp;Oct.19. In total, about 90 species were
observed over the time we were there.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><STRONG></STRONG></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken&nbsp; ( Sylvia Fullerton, Bernice Moores,
Charlie Kendell, Ian McLaren)</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_Mi1G7lNxiYSIDyGLhGkIbw)--