[NatureNS] Cackling Goose, Snow Geese, Onslow, Colchester Co.

From: "Eric L. Mills" <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: Ns-rba@yahoogroups.com, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 15:23:40 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_9aqI3fZJR13SOf0pjBThgA)

This morning there was a Cackling Goose and also 6 Snow Geese among the Canadas
accumulating in a stubble field between Board Landing Road and McWilliam Road South in
Onslow, Col. Co.

I saw the Snow Geese and the Cackling Goose arrive with Canadas from the west,
presumably from the estuary of the Salmon River, where many geese spend the night. The
Snow Geese were easy to locate almost any time once on the ground (although they tended
to disappear occasionally into hollows) and proved to be the family of four that I saw last
week in North River plus two immatures that could well have been the pair that Ross Hall
saw then in the Masstown area.

I thought I saw a Cackling Goose last week among Canadas, but didn't pin it down until today
on the ground, where it proved to be a classic hutchinsii, almost duck-sized compared to the
Canadas, square-headed, and with a tiny stubby bill. Once on the ground among the arriving
Canadas it soon disappeared into the melee of big geese and I lost track of it.

The Canada flock numbered about 3000 by the time I left shortly after noon; there were
smaller flocks in several other locations between Masstown and North River.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Eric L. Mills
286 Kingsburg Road
RR#1, Rose Bay, Nova Scotia B0J 2X0, Canada
e.mills@dal.ca
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

--Boundary_(ID_9aqI3fZJR13SOf0pjBThgA)

<title></title>
</head>
This morning there was a Cackling Goose and also 6 Snow Geese among the Canadas
accumulating in a stubble field between Board Landing Road and McWilliam Road South in
Onslow, Col. Co. </span></font>
I saw the Snow Geese and the Cackling Goose arrive with Canadas from the west,
presumably from the estuary of the Salmon River, where many geese spend the night. The
Snow Geese were easy to locate almost any time once on the ground (although they tended
to disappear occasionally into hollows) and proved to be the family of four that I saw last
week in North River plus two immatures that could well have been the pair that Ross Hall
saw then in the Masstown area. </span></font>
I thought I saw a Cackling Goose last week among Canadas, but didn't pin it down until today
on the ground, where it proved to be a classic <i>hutchinsii</i>, almost duck-sized compared to the
Canadas, square-headed, and with a tiny stubby bill. Once on the ground among the arriving
Canadas it soon disappeared into the melee of big geese and I lost track of it. </span></font>
The Canada flock numbered about 3000 by the time I left shortly after noon; there were
smaller flocks in several other locations between Masstown and North River.</span></font>
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ</span></font>
Eric L. Mills</span></font>
286 Kingsburg Road</span></font>
RR#1, Rose Bay, Nova Scotia B0J 2X0, Canada</span></font>
e.mills@dal.ca</span></font>