[NatureNS] Balloons

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 15:16:24 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0015174befcca6044a04b0b05bb5

Hi,

Several years ago Zoe Lucas gave a good presentation to the Blomidon
Nat.Soc. about the dangers of balloons to seals on Sable Island, where the
seals think they're jellyfish and try to eat them. We had a similar and
even more disturbing presentation on how Loggerhead turtles do the same
thing. I seem to recall that some of the balloons were traced to origins in
Ontario and the USA, and when the perpetrators were shown autopsy pictures
of starving seals and turtles with balloons in their stomachs they stopped
releasing them. So indeed it's an educational issue, and those people may
still have images available which can be used as educational resources.

Richard

--
#################
Dr.R.B.Stern,

--0015174befcca6044a04b0b05bb5

 to the Blomidon Nat.Soc. about the dangers of balloons to seals on Sable I=
sland, where the seals think they&#39;re jellyfish and try to eat them. We =
had a similar and even more disturbing presentation on how Loggerhead turtl=
es do the same thing. I seem to recall that some of the balloons were trace=
d to origins in Ontario and the USA, and when the perpetrators were shown a=
utopsy pictures of starving seals and turtles with balloons in their stomac=
hs they stopped releasing them. So indeed it&#39;s an educational issue, an=
d those people may still have images available which can be used as educati=
onal resources.</div>

, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Frederick W. Schueler <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"m=
 class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc soli=
d;padding-left:1ex;">

On 11/1/2011 12:37 PM, Lynne Perry wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
I think it makes sense for us to be more vocal about these balloons. We<br>
need to show the damage these balloons do, so it can be stopped. Show<br>
pictures of whales, birds and other animals adversely affected. It is an<br=

educational issue, methinks. =A0I think most people do not want to do harm<=
br>
to the earth, or its creatures or vegetation.<br>
* we saw a lot of these along Lake Ontario when we did the lakeshore in 199=
4 - <a href=3D"http://pinicola.ca/books.htm#APTW" target=3D"_blank">http://=
hanged. The interesting thing is that the release of a balloon is the same =
action as littering, but one supposes that those who release them don&#39;t=
 think of it that way.<br>

And then there&#39;s the deeper question of the character of the mentality =
of those who throw beverage containers and other refuse along roadsides. I =
find it very difficult to imagine what they must be &quot;thinking&quot; as=
 they throw trash out of a moving vehicle (but, of course, I can&#39;t imag=
ine purchasing most of these beverages, so perhaps the disposal method is o=
nly a consequence of the purchase). I imagine that even those who distribut=
e Tim Hortons cups along the roads don&#39;t do so with the thought that th=
ey&#39;re providing food for slugs and snails.<br>

fred.<br>