[NatureNS] A solution for racoons (was Relocating Wildlife??)

From: David Hughes <davidhughes@accesswave.ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 19:08:49 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_ZbfcyQo9sidTr53to/htNA)

My wife bought me a squirrel and racoon proof feeder stand for my =20
birthday and it has defeated the local raiders. The secret is the =20
height that puts the feeders out of reach and a large torpedo shaped =20
baffle suspended by springs on the pole that prevents climbing. After =20=

a few weeks the racoons stopped trying. The stand is very sturdy, hold =20=

up to 8 feeders, and has an attached auger that plants it firmly in =20
the ground.

It is available at For the Birds in Mahone Bay. You can check it out =20
on their web site. It isn't cheap and needs to be placed about 10 feet =20=

away from the trees to prevent jumping, but will save on seed, =20
feeders, bent poles and time. Plus we don't have to listen to racoon =20
squables in the middle of the night anymore.

Personally, I like the squirrels and we keep a feeder suspended from a =20=

nearby tree. They can leap to it, but the racoons can't.

David

Sent from my iPod

On 2011-11-03, at 5:30 PM, Eleanor Lindsay <kelindsay@eastlink.ca> =20