[NatureNS] Herald Nov. 8/11 - Sunday Hunting bill - Liberals

From: ulli@dunlin.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 22:30:16 -0400

&lt;STYLE&gt;&lt;/STYL
I seen this earlier and can only hope that NS will stick with the current regulations.

> The provincial Liberals say Nova Scotia should fall into line with most other provinces when it
> comes to Sunday hunting.

Most other provinces are way less densly populated than NS, offering less chance for
hunters and other nature users to cross path on Sundays.

> Prince Edward Island is the only other province that does not allow some degree of Sunday
> hunting. Several provinces have changed their laws over the past decade to allow it to take place,
> and Younger says it´s time Nova Scotia did too.

Guess what NS and PEI have in common!

> "The past few years, we´ve heard a lot about it from a lot of communities across the province," he
> said. "We´re aware of more than 1,500 letters written in support of this, and since I mentioned last
> week we were going to do this, we´ve just been swamped with emails in favour of it."
> Younger said a couple of emails have opposed such a move, but many more are in favour, "so
> much so that we haven´t been able to respond to them as quickly as we would like."

This is hopefully and likely going to change as this is was the first time the word was spread
to the general public.  Anyone has a email or postal address on hand where we could voice
our concerns?

> He said the Liberals haven´t approached the government yet about the proposed bill, but "I´ve
> heard from a lot of people in NDP ridings across the province, so it would surprise me if they
> weren´t willing to at least take a look at this."

Sure, as hunters are potential voters, but so are all the other non-hunting outdoor
enthusiasts.  ......

> Tony Rodgers, executive director of the Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters, said his
> group would like to see the proposed legislation before making a full comment, but its members
> agree with the concept of Sunday hunting.

The second part doesn't come as a surprise .....

> Rodgers said some people are concerned about safety in the woods and say Sunday is the one
> day they feel safe, but "people should feel safe going in the woods any day of the year. They
> shouldn´t have any concern about that whatsoever.

True

> The chance of a non-participant being hurt in this sport almost doesn´t exist."

Till it happens, like the risk of being hit by lightning ALMOST doesn't exist! By adding Sunday
-when most non-hunters head out in the woods- will increase the chance for such a kind of
encounter.

My $0.02

Ulli