[NatureNS] Trout and Snails

From: "Dusan Soudek" <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 08:16:25 -0400

   Aquatic "snails?" Do any species utilize anadromous fish species to take
their larvae upstream, thus establishing and maintaining populations in
headwater lakes and streams. This is quite common in the "snails'" cousins,
the bivalve molluscs.
   I remember reading about a freshwater mussel species becoming extinct in
N.B.'s Petitcodiac River, after the tidal dam/causeway in Moncton destroyed
the salmon run there. I do wonder whether this species is back now that the
dam is open again.
   I have never come across a good review of this topic. The larvae of
relatively immobile invertebrates literally hitching rides on highly mobile
searun fish to travel hundreds of miles upstream...
   Dusan S.