[NatureNS] Great Egret Seaforth/Grand Desert area Saturday evening

From: Pat McKay <ah205@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 22:47:46 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--f46d04478863f713b504b1bd0472

The Great Egret was seen by Susann Myers and me in exactly the same place
as described by Ulli below on Sunday morning (Nov 13th).

Pat McKay

On 12 November 2011 18:00, <ulli@dunlin.ca> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just got back in from a late afternoon stint down the Eastern Shore.
>
> Highlight for me was a Great Egret foraging close to the road (207) in the
> marshy shallows of
> the lake on right, coming from Seaforth, before hitting the intersection
> to dyke road. The one
> with the little island flying the Acadian flag, info for those that know
> the area and landmark for
> the ones that don't and want to chase it.
>
> Watched and photographed the egret for a good half hour in the evening
> light, before a Bald
> Eagle stirred the whole assembly up.  The egret came back, but landed on
> the far side of the
> lake, still good to see but to distant to snap more photos.
>
> Given the close proximity to the report from earlier today (Conrad's Beach
> area), and the one
> I have seen flying over Grand Desert ~3 weeks ago has me wondering if this
> is the same
> individual that is now sticking around in that neighbourhood for some
> time?  Who knows.
>
> The salt marsh along the road to Conrad's beach had a group of Buffleheads
> and several
> shorebirds (several G. Yellowlegs, Black-bellied Plovers, one Knot) to
> offer. No egret, as this
> critter was presumably hanging out a bit down the road at the time.
>
> Cheer
>
> Ulli

--f46d04478863f713b504b1bd0472

The Great Egret was seen by Susann Myers and me in exactly the same place a=
s described by Ulli below on Sunday morning (Nov 13th).<br><br>Pat McKay<br=
r">&lt;ulli@dunlin.ca&gt;</span> wrot=
e:<br>

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">Hello,<br>
I just got back in from a late afternoon stint down the Eastern Shore.<br>
Highlight for me was a Great Egret foraging close to the road (207) in the =
marshy shallows of<br>
the lake on right, coming from Seaforth, before hitting the intersection to=
 dyke road. The one<br>
with the little island flying the Acadian flag, info for those that know th=
e area and landmark for<br>
the ones that don&#39;t and want to chase it.<br>
Watched and photographed the egret for a good half hour in the evening ligh=
t, before a Bald<br>
Eagle stirred the whole assembly up. =C2=A0The egret came back, but landed =
on the far side of the<br>
lake, still good to see but to distant to snap more photos.<br>
Given the close proximity to the report from earlier today (Conrad&#39;s Be=
ach area), and the one<br>
I have seen flying over Grand Desert ~3 weeks ago has me wondering if this =
is the same<br>
individual that is now sticking around in that neighbourhood for some time?=
 =C2=A0Who knows.<br>
The salt marsh along the road to Conrad&#39;s beach had a group of Bufflehe=
ads and several<br>
shorebirds (several G. Yellowlegs, Black-bellied Plovers, one Knot) to offe=
r. No egret, as this<br>
critter was presumably hanging out a bit down the road at the time.<br>
Cheer<br>
Ulli<br>

--f46d04478863f713b504b1bd0472--