[NatureNS] Fundy gypsum

From: "Dusan Soudek" <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 19:38:19 -0400

  workers realized that they were

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01CCA3CE.20FA0B30

   There are some very natural-looking abandoned older gypsum mines =
along the Hants Shore. One of them, near Cheverie (?) is a community =
park and a popular swimming hole. I think that it is a wonderful =
recreational asset for the community, but it doesn't generate any jobs.
   A problem with potential rehabilitation of the Windsor mine site is =
that we don't really know whether it will remain closed. Probably even =
its owner, Fundy Gypsum, doesn't know for sure.
   As minerals go, gypsum is probably environmentally the most benign =
one there is. It even neutralizes the acid rain that is ruining our =
Atlantic salmon, speckled trout, and other fish populations.
   Dusan Soudek

P.S. Do check the Milford and Windsor gypsum mines on Google Earth. The =
sites are huge!

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01CCA3CE.20FA0B30

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE></TITLE>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>&nbsp;&nbsp; There are some very natural-looking =
abandoned=20
older gypsum mines along the Hants Shore. One of them, near Cheverie (?) =
is a=20
community park and a popular swimming hole. I think that it is a =
wonderful=20
recreational asset for the community, but it doesn't generate any=20
jobs.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>&nbsp;&nbsp; A problem&nbsp;with potential =
rehabilitation of=20
the Windsor mine site is that we don't really know&nbsp;whether it will =
remain=20
closed. Probably even its owner, Fundy Gypsum, doesn't know for=20
sure.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;As minerals go, gypsum is probably =

environmentally the most benign one there is. It even neutralizes the =
acid rain=20
that is ruining&nbsp;our Atlantic salmon, speckled trout, and other fish =

populations.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>&nbsp;&nbsp; Dusan Soudek</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>P.S. Do check the Milford and Windsor gypsum mines =
on Google=20
Earth. The sites are huge!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01CCA3CE.20FA0B30--