[NatureNS] Snow Goose+ Where are Bonaparte's Gull concentrations?+ RB Woodpeckers

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 09:36:39 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_v9QeTm+1SSyAN45PMACjAw)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
Yesterday afternoon, Bob Bancroft and I did a little road tour around =
Pictou Harbour prior to Bob's presentation to Pictou Co. Naturalist's =
last night. Of note was a Snow Goose with Canada Geese in a yard near =
the end of Company Rd. in Abercrombie. This looks like the bird that was =
on the Glen Lovatt and Linacy Golf Courses last week. Maybe it had just =
done a round at the Abercrombie course!!
I was commenting to Bob on the lack of large concentrations of =
Bonaparte's Gulls and mergansers this fall and early winter in both =
Antigonish and Pictou Co. Numbers are no where near what has been =
typical for the last decade and either I am just missing birds that are =
around, or something is happening that is changing their migration =
pattern. At times there are mergansers still not as many as in the past. =
I also notice that scaup in the Pictou rivers are not in the usual =
numbers either. I am wondering if something is happening to the food =
supply to change the migration pattern. As far as I can tell, the =
mergansers and Bonaparte's Gulls are here because of Atlantic =
silversides. I know that for the last few years there is an experimental =
fishery being allowed in Antigonish Co. and Bob said also on PEI. I have =
a suspicion that the fishing pressure might be too heavy and there is no =
longer the food for the thousands of small gulls and mergansers that =
were wonderful to watch feeding frenzies. It is my feeling that this =
experimental fishery should be examined closely.=20

At the meeting Harriet MacMillan from Lochaber reported Red-bellied =
Woodpecker in Lochaber and another in the West river area of Antigonish =
Co.=20

Ken=

--Boundary_(ID_v9QeTm+1SSyAN45PMACjAw)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19154">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Yesterday afternoon, Bob Bancroft and I did a
little road&nbsp;tour around Pictou Harbour prior to Bob's presentation to
Pictou Co. Naturalist's last night. Of note was a <STRONG>Snow Goose</STRONG>
with Canada Geese in a yard near the end of Company Rd. in Abercrombie. This
looks like the bird that was on the Glen Lovatt and Linacy Golf Courses last
week. Maybe it had just done a round at the Abercrombie course!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I was commenting to Bob on the lack of large
[...]
closely. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>At the meeting Harriet MacMillan from Lochaber
reported <STRONG>Red-bellied Woodpecker</STRONG> in Lochaber and another in the
West river area of Antigonish Co. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_v9QeTm+1SSyAN45PMACjAw)--