[NatureNS] Homemade Suet Cake Recipes

From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 19:48:20 -0400

Hi All,

Here's my offering to the birds during winter (not really a recipe since no
measurements are made!):

We have made friends with the butcher at the local Sobey's store and he will
give us beef fat trimmings at no charge (I've heard that some places
actually charge for this stuff!).  We have to arrive just after lunch since
they throw it all out around mid-afternoon.
I chop it up into small chunks and heat at full power in the microwave for 5
min.  I pour off any liquid generated and repeat the procedure until little
additional oil is produced.  By this time, it's a bit smelly and so I put
the residue into the garage.
I collect the oil in a large plastic container (1-2 L size) and toss in a
few spoonfuls each of peanut butter (organic or not; the birds don't seem to
care), corn meal, sunflower or other seeds, oatmeal and millet.  I put the
mixture out into the garage to cool and stir it up once in a while to make
it as homogeneous as possible.  When solid, it has to be stored in the
fridge or it will go off.
I have half a dozen logs into which I've bored a number of 1 inch holes
about 1-1.5 inch deep.  I fill the holes with the mixture and hang them up
at various spots in the yard.  Of course, woodpeckers and nuthatches are
particularly attracted by this mix but chickadees and the occasional
overwintering warbler (Pine, Orange-crowned or Yellow-rumped) will also
partake.
Before the mixture has solidified, it can also be used to fill the plastic
containers that the commercial bird suet mixtures come in.
Hope this helps.

Bob McDonald,
Halifax