[NatureNS] Fw: Northern Mockingbird, Baltimore Orioles and Harlequin Ducks

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 11:38:23 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_A57eOh5FQPukL5yfD8o7Ig)

----- Original Message -----
From: Hans Toom
To: NS-RBA
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2011 11:38 AM
Subject: Northern Mockingbird, Baltimore Orioles and Harlequin Ducks

The Northern Mockingbird and three Baltimore Orioles are all resident at our place in Portuguese Cove now and will make their last stand here. The mockingbird will overwinter with ease especially with some help from the local humans but the orioles are doomed. No meal worms, grape jelly or fruit suet will save the orioles from the freezing rain and hard winds of the coastal barrens. Also moving with this group is a single male Purple Finch.

This morning at Duncan Reef I found one Red-throated Loon, two juvenile Northern Gannets and four Harlequin Ducks.

Hans
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

--Boundary_(ID_A57eOh5FQPukL5yfD8o7Ig)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19154">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A
title=htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca href="mailto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">Hans Toom</A>
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com
href="mailto:NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com">NS-RBA</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Friday, December 09, 2011 11:38 AM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Northern Mockingbird, Baltimore Orioles and Harlequin
Ducks</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The <STRONG>Northern Mockingbird</STRONG> and three
<STRONG>Baltimore Orioles</STRONG> are all resident at our place in Portuguese
Cove now and will make their last stand here. The mockingbird will overwinter
with ease especially with some help from the local humans but the orioles are
doomed. No meal worms, grape jelly or fruit suet will save the orioles from the
freezing rain and hard winds of the coastal barrens. Also moving with this group
is a single male <STRONG>Purple Finch</STRONG>.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>This morning at Duncan Reef I found one
<STRONG>Red-throated Loon</STRONG>, two juvenile <STRONG>Northern
Gannets</STRONG> and four <STRONG>Harlequin Ducks</STRONG>.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_A57eOh5FQPukL5yfD8o7Ig)--