[NatureNS] Homemade Suet Cake Recipes

Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 19:54:28 -0400
From: Jeff MacLeod <jeffnaturens@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0015174c17341160db04b3d9bdcb

Birds of North America online suggests that downy and hairy woodpeckers do
regularly make vegetable/seed matter part of their diets. However, it
typically makes up less than 25% (assuming they aren't eating at feeders),
and a great majority of their food is insect matter.

So, perhaps they can make use of seed products added to suet mixes, but
don't normally rely on seed to a great degree.

It is hard to know the proportion of their diet that is gathered from
feeders. Perhaps a high proportion of vegetable/seed matter isn't a big
deal if they only drop by occasionally. I imagine it might be a problem if
they ate at the suet feeder constantly. The woodpeckers around my place
don't seem to be feeder addicts--they just drop by a couple of times per
day and stay for a relatively short time. Sometimes they go for sunflower
seed and sometimes suet. The jays are much more likely to stay until the
food is gone (or inconveniently available).

Birds of North America online did lead me to a paper suggesting that
feeding suet in warm weather may be problematic for woodpeckers, as melted
suet may saturate the feathers on their face and result in bare patches on
the face. The observations from that study were made in spring/summer, and
the data was correlational in nature.

Jeff

--
Jeff MacLeod
Halifax

--0015174c17341160db04b3d9bdcb

s do regularly make vegetable/seed matter part of their diets. However, it =
typically makes up less than 25% (assuming they aren&#39;t eating at feeder=
s), and a great majority of their food is insect matter.=A0</div>
 suet mixes, but don&#39;t normally rely on seed to a great degree.=A0</div=
s gathered from feeders. Perhaps a high proportion of vegetable/seed matter=
 isn&#39;t a big deal if they only drop by occasionally. I imagine it might=
 be a problem if they ate at the suet feeder constantly. The woodpeckers ar=
ound my place don&#39;t seem to be feeder addicts--they just drop by a coup=
le of times