[NatureNS] Homemade Suet Cake Recipes

Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 15:34:47 -0400
From: "Stephen R. Shaw" <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

=3D"mailto:turtlevoice@ns.sympatico.ca"&gt;turtlevoice@ns.sympatico.ca&lt;/a&gt;&a
Like Bob, I use a similar system of squirrel-proofed hanging logs each
with 4 * 1.25 inch holes, that I fill with a mixture of melted suet
(approx 2 parts) to peanut butter (very approx 1 part, 'measured' by
eye).  The stuff sets in the log holes in a few tens of minutes even
in the summer.  The suet is the Sobeys ground, worm-like stuff which
they sell sometimes, that melts immediately in a pan with little
smell.  The woodpeckers (downy, some hairy and the occasional flicker)
love the mixture, chickadees too.

If your aim is mainly to feed woodpeckers and not other birds this way
via hanging logs, why would you include all these veggie seed
products?  Jeff's recently recommended Old Zick Dough recipe actually
contains 5/7 parts cornmeal + oats + flour, and only 2/7 parts fats.
Bob's recipe sounds proportionally more fatty, but do woodpeckers
really eat and digest seed-based carbohydrate/protein, or do they just
discard it as bycatch below the log?  I thought they mostly ate
insects, in summer at least, not seeds.

Request for info: what do our common woodpeckers normally eat,
especially in winter?  Has anyone observed any local woodpecker
species frequently eating seeds?  Specifically, do woodpeckers
actually benefit from us adding seed products to the suet-PB mix, or
is the benefit there only for blue jays and the like in a different
physical arrangement, like the flat mesh baskets?  Our BJs and most
other common perching birds can't access the hanging logs, though
we've had starlings give it a shot by trying to emulate hummingbirds.
Steve (Halifax)