[NatureNS] Christmas Present - A Trip to Sable Island

From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 19:56:32 -0400

=3B=22

--Boundary_(ID_JIsdDQ71sOoMISCD+q5F2A)

Hello Angela and others,

Well, if you really want to visit Sable Is, it is (or at least was) possible to do so.  Most folks hire a small plane, usually a 4-seater I believe, and after having been given permission to land, fly over and land on the beach runway.  You return the same day and have 3-4 hours on the Island, often accompanied by Zoe Lucas, if she is available.  We have 2 friends who chose to visit by this method.  The cost is about $1,000 pp for the day, somewhat less expensive than a March Break tropical holiday.
My wife and I had an opportunity to visit by a rather different route.  We booked a cruise on the Clipper Adventurer in October 2009 called the "Fall Colours Cruise" and the first stop on the cruise was Sable Island.  I believe that this is the only expedition cruise vessel which has ever been allowed to visit Sable.  We spent the first hour of our visit with Zoe and then were allowed to wander around for the remaining 3-4 hours.  It was a very memorable event and not surprisingly the highlight of the 10-day cruise!!  Although we saw no rarities, we did have a Peregrine Falcon over our heads a couple of times and many Ipswich Sparrows, the Sable Island race of Savannah Sparrow, were still present.
We have visited many countries and seen many sights but we'll always remember our morning spent on Sable.  Do go if you ever get the chance!

I believe that Zoe Lucas does return to Halifax a couple of times a year and she is often interviewed on CBC or asked to speak by some local group.  Each year, usually in March, St Mary's Univ sponsors an evening focussing on Sable Island.  Researchers and others present their research results or discuss the natural or cultural history.  Quite often, Zoe is one of the presenters, and, for that reason alone, I encourage everyone to attend.  It's always a special evening!

Cheers,
Bob McDonald
Halifax