[NatureNS] re vertebrate cooperativity in foraging

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 21:40:49 -0400

Hi Steve & All,                    Dec 22, 2011
    Ralph Linton, in The Tree of Culture (1955), has domestication of dogs
starting in the mesolithic [& btw cautiously characterizes the relationship
as 'may well have been...symbiotic'] which in many parts of the world ended
more than 10,000 YBP (?). And in Linton's time, the wild dogs of Australia
were still being captured as pups to be reared as hunting dogs by
Aboriginals so domestication there was a slow process [I don't remember when
the land bridge to Asia was severed but I suspect many tens of millenia
ago].

    Does the newer work, to which you refer, bear on the time-lines of
domestication of dogs in general or only on the special case of
domestication from wolves ? Also I wonder how they concluded that it
happened only once. And does this work relate to dogs that contain only wolf
genes as opposed to dogs that contain some genes of wolf origin ?

Yt & Merry Christmas,
 Dave Webster