[NatureNS] Hartlen Point Question and Today's Eastern Passage Sightings

From: Graham Williams <grahamevanwilliams@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 18:35:34 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Greetings,

Today I birded a few spots in Eastern Passage, following the advice of several kind folks who responded to my post a couple weeks ago about where to see some of my target birds while visiting NS. I was delighted to see many great birds, 3 of which were lifers for me. I will list everything below incase anyone is interested. Most species were seen from McCormack's Beach.

A question for everyone: Several folks suggested that I bird Hartlen's Point, so I went there today. I found the gate closed at the golf course with a "course closed" sign before the road reached the parking area. I managed to find a spot to park along the road a short distance north of there where I could scope the waters but it was not the greatest vantage point, especially for trying to view Devil's Island. I wanted to hike down some of the many trails and side roads but every one was posted with a DOD No Trespassing sign so I was reluctant to leave the car on the roadside and "trespass." So, my question is, is it ok to hike around the area on Hartlen's Point? Or is it at my own risk of trespassing? Also, where is the best place to park when the gate's closed?

Here is a list of my recent sightings since arriving in NS on Thursday.

12-23-11, Shubie Park, ~3-4:15pm
Black-capped Chickadee
Northern Cardinal (M\FM pair)
American Black Duck
Mallard Duck
American Crow
Downy Woodpecker
Rock Pigeon
European Starling

12-23-11, Lake Micmac, ~4:20pm
Common Merganser (17 counted from the Irving station on Waverly Rd)

12-24-11, McCormack's Beach, ~10:45am-12:15pm
Song Sparrow
Savanna Sparrow (1)
Long-tailed Duck
American Black Duck
White-winged Scoter
Surf Scoter
Common Merganser
Red-breasted Merganser
Common Eider
Mallard
Iceland Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Herring Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Common Loon
American Crow
European Starling
Northern Gannet (one immature bird swimming in the passage)

12-24-11, pull-off in Eastern Passage between McCormack's Beach and Hartlen Point
Common Goldeneye
Common Eider
American Black Duck
Herring Gull
Iceland Gull
Possible Glaucous Gull, too far out to be certain of ID

12-24-11, Hartlen Point, ~12:30-2:30
Common Eider
Common Goldeneye
American Black Duck
Red-breasted Merganser
Long-tailed Duck
Scoter sp.
Canada Geese
Iceland Gull
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Tern sp. (one individual, resembled Common Tern but cannot confirm)
American Crow
Palm Warbler (1. Is this noteworthy for NS in Dec? I heard then saw one individual as I set up my scope near the roadside. It was less than 15 feet away. I clearly saw the yellow under-tail coverts, rusty cap, and constant tail pumping behavior as it foraged along the edge of the road behind me. I'm very familiar with this species in FL but wasn't expecting to find one today!)

12-24-11, Shubie Park, ~3:40-4:20pm
Golden-crowned Kinglet (3)
Brown Creeper (1)
Black-capped Chickadee
Mallard
American Black Duck
American Crow

Graham Williams
Longwood, Florida (currently in Dartmouth, NS)
Grahamevanwilliams@gmail.com

Sent from my iPad