[NatureNS] RB Woodpecker - info on trends needed

Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 15:54:14 -0500
From: "Laviolette, Lance (EXP)" <lance.laviolette@lmco.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_AAOjqfCupETBwepS4OVOtQ)

Hi Randy,

I think it is fair to say that Red-bellied Woodpeckers are in the process of expanding their breeding range northward into Nova Scotia, following a similar path to that of birds such as Northern Cardinal and Turkey Vulture. Whether they succeed in maintaining their foothold in the province is something only time will tell but it is probable. They have similarly expanded their range into southern Quebec and Ontario over the last 10-20 years.  Carolina Wren is not far behind (and in some cases ahead) and Tufted Titmouse is not too far south, though it is showing some reluctance to cross north of the St. Lawrence River so may not make it across the Gulf of Maine/Bay of Fundy until it is East enough in New Brunswick to cross along the Sackville, NB/Amherst corridor.

I think it's very interesting to speculate about how much these expansions are aided from human activity and how much is based on a warming climate. Road kills are a staple of any self respecting vulture of course and while studies have indicated that bird feeding is resident-bird, survival-neutral, many cases of southern expansionist individuals surviving winter have been documented on this list and in the pages of NS Birds.

All the best,

Lance

Lance Laviolette
Glen Robertson, Ontario