[NatureNS] Yellow breasted chat

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:23:13 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01CCD05B.C9E919C0

After failing to find the field trip group Sunday, I visited Finlay Park and
found the yellow breasted chat in the bramble tangle (by the locks) almost
right away.  I stopped and watched it without and through my binos.  It
hopped down on the grass out in the open and fed on a rotten apple.  It was
only two metres away from kids working on the exercise equipment  (a good
start for them!) The song sparrow and white throated sparrow were there.
Last week, I found it hiding in the huge spruce? tree (next to the yard
where the grapevines were.  It hopped down and fed on the leaf-covered
ground.   I think rotten apples will be as nutritious as suet?

Many thanks for letting us know about the rescue and common gallinule.

Cheers,
liz
There is also a Yellow-breasted Chat that has been seen in the multiflora
bramble beside the foot bridge over the canal below the Lake Banook Boat
Club and also in the spruce tree and grape vines nearby. If your out that
way invest $1.25 in a block of suet from the dollar store and hang it in the
multiflora bramble using vegetable netting or other suitable material. The
bird is in desperate shape hence its tameness.
Others may have more to add.

Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01CCD05B.C9E919C0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">After failing to find the field trip =
group=20
Sunday, I visited Finlay Park and found the yellow breasted chat in the =
bramble=20
tangle (by the locks) almost right away.&nbsp; I stopped and watched it =
without=20
and through my binos.&nbsp; It hopped down on the grass out in the open =
and fed=20
on a rotten apple.&nbsp; It was only two metres away from kids working =
on the=20
exercise equipment&nbsp; (a good start for them!) The song sparrow and =
white=20
throated sparrow were there.&nbsp;&nbsp; Last week, I found it hiding in =
the=20
huge spruce? tree (next to the yard where the grapevines were.&nbsp; It =
hopped=20
down and fed on the leaf-covered ground.&nbsp;&nbsp; I think rotten =
apples will=20
be as nutritious as suet?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Many thanks for letting us know =
about the=20
rescue and common gallinule.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Cheers, </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>liz</DIV>
<DIV>................</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial><FONT =
size=3D2>There is also=20
a <STRONG>Yellow-breasted Chat</STRONG> that has been seen in the =
multiflora=20
bramble beside the foot bridge over the canal below the Lake Banook Boat =
Club=20
and also in the spruce tree and grape vines nearby. If your out that way =
invest=20
$1.25 in a block of suet from the dollar store and hang it in the =
multiflora=20
bramble using vegetable netting or other suitable material. The bird is =
in=20
desperate shape hence its tameness.</DIV>
<DIV>
<P>Others may have more to add.</P>
<P></FONT></FONT><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Hans Toom<BR>Portuguese =
Cove, Nova=20
Scotia, Canada<BR></FONT></P></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01CCD05B.C9E919C0--