[NatureNS] Yellow breasted chat

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 20:55:22 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_1172359==.ALT

         Last week I spoke to Helen Jones, who has the attractive
garden on Lakeside Terrace in Dartmouth.  She told me she has a
Yellow-breasted Chat in her neighbourhood.  It has been there since
before the Christmas Bird Count.  I wonder if it could be the same
one as the Findlay Park bird?  Her home would be about half a
kilometer away, on the far side of Birch Cove Park.  The bird is
sometimes seen in the lush thickets of her front yard, but is more
often seen in her back yard, and along the concrete-topped wall at
the back of her neighbour's yard.  It seems to find insects around
the south-facing stonework. It would need something with more fat and
protein than apples to make it through the winter.

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

At 12:23 PM 11/01/2012, you wrote:
>After failing to find the field trip group Sunday, I visited Finlay
>Park and found the yellow breasted chat in the bramble tangle (by
>the locks) almost right away.  I stopped and watched it without and
>through my binos.  It hopped down on the grass out in the open and
>fed on a rotten apple.  It was only two metres away from kids
>working on the exercise equipment  (a good start for them!) The song
>sparrow and white throated sparrow were there.   Last week, I found
>it hiding in the huge spruce? tree (next to the yard where the
>grapevines were.  It hopped down and fed on the leaf-covered
>ground.   I think rotten apples will be as nutritious as suet?
>
>Many thanks for letting us know about the rescue and common gallinule.
>
>Cheers,
>liz
>There is also a Yellow-breasted Chat that has been seen in the
>multiflora bramble beside the foot bridge over the canal below the
>Lake Banook Boat Club and also in the spruce tree and grape vines
>nearby. If your out that way invest $1.25 in a block of suet from
>the dollar store and hang it in the multiflora bramble using
>vegetable netting or other suitable material. The bird is in
>desperate shape hence its tameness.
>
>Others may have more to add.
>
>Hans Toom
>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada

--=====================_1172359==.ALT

<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Last week
I spoke to Helen Jones, who has the attractive garden on Lakeside Terrace
in Dartmouth.&nbsp; She told me she has a Yellow-breasted Chat in her
neighbourhood.&nbsp; It has been there since before the Christmas Bird
Count.&nbsp; I wonder if it could be the same one as the Findlay Park
bird?&nbsp; Her home would be about half a kilometer away, on the far
side of Birch Cove Park.&nbsp; The bird is sometimes seen in the lush
thickets of her front yard, but is more often seen in her back yard, and
along the concrete-topped wall at the back of her neighbour's yard.&nbsp;
It seems to find insects around the south-facing stonework. It would need
something with more fat and protein than apples to make it through the
winter.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Cheers,<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
At 12:23 PM 11/01/2012, you wrote:<br>
group Sunday, I visited Finlay Park and found the yellow breasted chat in
the bramble tangle (by the locks) almost right away.&nbsp; I stopped and
watched it without and through my binos.&nbsp; It hopped down on the
grass out in the open and fed on a rotten apple.&nbsp; It was only two
metres away from kids working on the exercise equipment&nbsp; (a good
start for them!) The song sparrow and white throated sparrow were
there.&nbsp;&nbsp; Last week, I found it hiding in the huge spruce? tree
(next to the yard where the grapevines were.&nbsp; It hopped down and fed
on the leaf-covered ground.&nbsp;&nbsp; I think rotten apples will be as
nutritious as suet?&nbsp;&nbsp; <br>
the rescue and common gallinule.&nbsp; <br>
seen in the multiflora bramble beside the foot bridge over the canal
below the Lake Banook Boat Club and also in the spruce tree and grape
vines nearby. If your out that way invest $1.25 in a block of suet from
the dollar store and hang it in the multiflora bramble using vegetable
netting or other suitable material. The bird is in desperate shape hence
its tameness.<br><br>
Others may have more to add.<br><br>
Hans Toom<br>