[NatureNS] re star-thrower story -- moral??

From: Christopher Majka <c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 01:05:24 -0400

or=20

--Apple-Mail-421-317973380

Hi folks,

Both The Star Thrower story and the Militaw story (today I heard from =20=

someone who had heard the latter story from a Haida Gwaii lady) are =20
intended to serve as parables, not scientific treatises. In =20
allegorical fashion they make the point that it is worthwhile for each =20=

one of us to do what we can, to make a contribution. If everyone =20
pitches in, great things can be achieved. We shouldn't be dissuaded =20
from action because it seems daunting.

No one imagines that such parables are literally true (talking =20
animals, a hummingbird attempting to put out a forest fire). Parables =20=

are effective because the convey a point that moves people. Better =20
examples aren't required because these are fables not literal =20
accounts. Even Eisley's original story is not a scientific narrative, =20=

but a poetical account, in which he writes:

"On a point of land, I found the star thrower...I spoke once briefly. =20=

"I understand," I said. "Call me another thrower." Only then I allowed =20=

myself to think, He is not alone any longer. After us, there will be =20
others...We were part of the rainbow...Perhaps far outward on the rim =20=

of space a genuine star was similarly seized and flung...For a moment, =20=

we cast on an infinite beach together beside an unknown hurler of =20
suns... We had lost our way, I thought, but we had kept, some of us, =20
the memory of the perfect circle of compassion from life to death and =20=

back to life again - the completion of the rainbow of existence."

Reflect on Tuma's earlier observation: "Some folks can only feed the =20
birds.  Some can educate others about the use of lead in bullets and =20
sinkers and how this affects the Eagles. Some can help by lobbing =20
politicians. Others can donate money or support whatever way they =20
can.  Do what you can to help."

Cheers,

Chris