[NatureNS] re star-thrower story -- moral??

From: Brian Bartlett <bbartlett@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 16:49:34 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01CCD2DC.7ED5CA40

Chris, You're right. We go down a dangerous road when we start taking =
parables or fables literally, as we would if we objected to the illogic =
and (in a sense) unreliability in metaphors and similes, which are such =
bedrocks of our thought and speech, including scientific thought and =
speech. "She ran like the wind." "No, she couldn't--the wind doesn't =
run." "He drank like a fish." "How could he? -- fish don't drink." =
"You're as crazy as a loon. "No, I'm not, because loons aren't insane."

cheers, Brian