[NatureNS] Sunday Update: Gallinule (Vogel) Yes

From: ulli@dunlin.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 13:33:12 -0400

I just had a good close up look at the Gallinule (~1pm).

The previously mentioned orange cat made a quick escape when approached.
I don't think that it was stalking the birds, more likely the offering of canned fish lured it down
on the sand spit.

Once the cat had left the ducks, the coot and "Vogel" took over. No visible concern about the
two of us looking down on them, it seems the birds get more used to human presence.

During our observation window both coot and gallinule went for the cracked corn mix, so
maybe cutting the fish from the menue for a few days will keep the cat away? Both "Vogels"
showed aggressive behaviour towards the ducks, what could be interpreted as a positive
sign.

Ulli