[NatureNS] The rise and fall of Common Lady's Slippers (long)

From: Fritz McEvoy <fritzmcevoy@hotmail.com>
To: NS NATURE <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 10:43:31 -0400

 bold;"&gt;Subject:&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/b&gt; [Nat
--_b28185ae-a5c6-469e-8dd4-107fc05c7a6e_

HI Paul and All=2C
   Your comment reminded me that when hiking the Lake of Islands trail=2C o=
n the CBHNP dry barrons in 2009=2C we came across a number of pink & white =
Ladies Slippers growing in the trail side gravel.  If memory serves the soi=
l was whitish and probably gypsum based. I was quite surprised to see them =
growing in conditions that are far from what I would consider normal but th=
ey must be very hardy=3B and cold tolerant=3B to be growing in what are one=
 of the harshest environments in the province. All the best.
                 Fritz McEvoy
                  Sunrise Valley=2C CB