[NatureNS] The rise and fall of Common Lady's Slippers (long)

Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 10:29:20 -0500
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&lt;DIV&gt;&lt;SPAN&gt;An interesting account Dave.&lt;/SPAN&
On 1/15/2012 9:31 PM, David & Alison Webster wrote:

>  Ice at that interface would suggest melting from
> above and subsequent freezing of percolated water when it reached cold
> soil. It seems possible that stand loss was caused either by cold injury
> or by direct or indirect effects of low soil oxygen.

* or maybe some direct effect of the ice on the rhizomes or roots or the
symbiotic fungi? We had a Yellow Ladyslipper that we were given because
the wife wanted a painting of it, and she sneaked it out of the
population her husband was monitoring, so we planted it in our back
fields in 1986. It initially did pretty well, but by 1997 or so the
Cedars had begun to shade it out, and I moved it to an open glade, and
planted it on a mound of soil so it would have been above the spring
inundation that kept the glade free of Cedars, but it never took hold,
and in a few years was gone.

I wonder now if it may have been something about the ice in the soil
that may have weakened and eventually killed it.

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          South Nation Basin Art & Science Book
          http://pinicola.ca/books/SNR_book.htm