[NatureNS] Cayo Santa Maria - Cuba

From: Henk Kwindt <cbatl@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 21:19:21 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01CCE770.7D700AF0

Hi Rob and All,

I was at the Cayo last Oct. and biked to the far south tip. That area is =
already on the map identified as Parque Nacional de Cayo Santa Maria. =
There is only a handful of resorts now but there is a total of 20 =
resorts planned (you may have noticed 4 or 5 tall cranes along the =
shoreline, and I don't mean the bird variety), so I fear for the future =
of any preserve there. The only thing this area has going for it is that =
it does not have a beach, just mangroves. But then, I have seen the tip =
of the Varadero penninsula go from nature preserve into resorts just in =
a few years time and why do you think the government paid for the =
construction of a 48km long causeway to get to the Cayo? They are just =
waiting ( and expecting) for the americans to be allowed to travel to =
Cuba. B.t.w. the "trail" through the preserve where we biked on is as =
wide as the Cow Bay rd, as a matter of fact there were still 2 =
bulldozers there, one actively doing its destructive job. It's sad but =
it is hard to blame the Cubans, tourism is the main source of income for =
them and they don't have much else.
Henk Kwindt, Cow Bay, NS.
  ----- Original Message -----=20