[NatureNS] Redhead in Purcell Cove

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 08:24:53 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_00FF_01CCEA28.F6354760

Sunday, Feb 12 2012

I checked out the birds in Purcell Cove and found a female?  redhead.  It
had an orangey-brown head and brown body, which stood out amid the scaups.
It also had a gentle sloping shape, but not like that of a Canvasback.  It
did not have the whites around its beak.   The bird sometimes went by itself
and sometimes with the group.  Each time I looked for it, I easily found it.
It also had a different kind of diving style.    Checked some of my books
and felt it was the redhead.  It was too far to take a photograph for
documentation.   Maybe someone else can do that?

The male Barrow's goldeneye was not there.   Just the usuals like the long
tailed ducks, Great cormorants,  Black guillemonts, etc.

Cheers,
Liz

------=_NextPart_000_00FF_01CCEA28.F6354760

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY=20
style=3D"WORD-WRAP: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space"=20
bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Sunday, Feb 12 2012</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">I checked out the birds in Purcell =
Cove=20
and&nbsp;found a female?&nbsp; redhead.&nbsp; It had an orangey-brown =
head and=20
brown body, which stood out amid the scaups.&nbsp; It also had a gentle =
sloping=20
shape, but not like that of a Canvasback.&nbsp; It did not have the =
whites=20
around its beak. &nbsp; The bird sometimes went by itself and sometimes =
with the=20
group.&nbsp; Each time I looked for it, I easily found it.&nbsp; It also =
had a=20
different kind of diving style.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Checked some of my =
books and=20
felt it was the redhead.&nbsp; It was too far to take a photograph for=20
documentation.&nbsp;&nbsp; Maybe someone else can do =
that?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">The male Barrow's goldeneye was not=20
there.&nbsp;&nbsp; Just the usuals like the long tailed ducks, Great=20
cormorants,&nbsp; Black guillemonts, etc.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Cheers, </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>Liz</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00FF_01CCEA28.F6354760--