[NatureNS] horned grebe?

From: Nancy Roberts <nancy.roberts@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 23:43:15 -0400

Is a horned grebe a reasonable possibility for Halifax Harbour?

I saw two birds close to the Dartmouth shore from the Harbour Walk not
far beyond Dartmouth Cove. They were along the stretch between the two
sets of pass-through gates where the path crosses the tracks and then
crosses back.

I had a long look from a reasonable distance (but no binoculars
along). Divers, and definitely the look of the Sibley illustrations
with flat head and a fit with the description and size.

The exception was that one bird in particular had white areas toward
the rear of its back that seemed cleaner and more defined than Sibley
shows.

I haven't seen horned grebes mentioned recently, but maybe I have
missed it. I would love a confirmation or probability rating.

Cheers,

Nancy Roberts
Dartmouth, NS