[NatureNS] re starlings' plumage -- was varied thrush in White

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 15:27:25 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01CCEF1A.FBCC7350

I've noticed in the past few days that several starlings here are now =
nearly completely in spring plumage, having lost their spots and =
yellowed their bills.  Jim in Wolfville.

Hi Jim, yes, we saw that this morning, someone thought a tree top bird =
was the thrush. It was a starling. The thrush, in the sunlight, as I =
have seen it,  is just popping with colour. The blue is something! I =
haven't seen the bird today. There was a lot of jay and starling =
activity about 8:30-9 am. Only a couple Robins beside 'ours'. It may =
well be travelling with Robins, I don't know. This whole area is perfect =
so if it is still here, there is a lot of ground to cover.
People have been watching for him. There is someone here right now. This =
is the time of day we saw it and got the photos and when two others saw =
it another day.=20
 I haven't had a lot of time to watch today. It is so mild and sunny, =
everything is thawed so it can feed/drink where it wants, we have no =
snow. Lots of mud though. We are avoiding yard work as much as possible =
but we have stuff needs doing. Had a swamp sparrow yesterday. I am 99% =
sure but we have had tree sparrows too so there is always a chance I =
might have it wrong. I had a look at the book right there with it so...I =
claimed in in the count.=20
Best regards

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01CCEF1A.FBCC7350

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial><FONT size=3D3 face=3D"Times New =
Roman">I've noticed in=20
the past few days that several starlings here are now nearly completely =
in=20
spring plumage, having lost their spots and yellowed their bills. =
&nbsp;Jim in=20
Wolfville.</FONT><BR>
<DIV><BR>......</DIV>
<DIV>Hi Jim, yes, we saw that this morning, someone thought a tree top =
bird was=20
the thrush. It was a starling. The thrush, in the sunlight, as I have =
seen it,=20
&nbsp;is just popping with colour. The blue is something! I haven't seen =
the=20
bird today. There was a lot of jay and starling activity about 8:30-9 =
am. Only a=20
couple Robins beside 'ours'. It may well be travelling with Robins, I =
don't=20
know. This whole area is perfect so if it is still here, there is a lot =
of=20
ground to cover.</DIV>
<DIV>People have been watching for him. There is someone here right now. =
This is=20
the time of day we saw it and got the photos and when two others saw it =
another=20
day. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;I haven't had a lot of time to watch today. It is so mild and =
sunny,=20
everything is thawed so it can feed/drink where it wants, we have no =
snow. Lots=20
of mud though. We are avoiding yard work as much as possible but we have =
stuff=20
needs doing. Had a swamp sparrow yesterday. I am 99% sure but we have =
had tree=20
sparrows too so there is always a chance I might have it wrong. I had a =
look at=20
the book right there with it so...I claimed in in the count. </DIV>
<DIV>Best regards</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01CCEF1A.FBCC7350--